On Sun, 2022-03-20 at 22:00 +0100, Paul Gevers wrote:
> Dear Sebastian, Kurt,
>
> On 19-03-2022 12:33, Adam D Barratt wrote:
> > Upload details
> > ==============
> >
> > Package: openssl
> > Version: 1.1.1n-0+deb10u1
> >
> > Explanation: new upstream release
>
> We're seeing a regression in buster in the autopkgtest of gnutls28
> with
> the new version of openssl on all tested architectures. Can you
> please
> have a look and advise? (bullseye doesn't seem to have the test
> anymore,
> hence it doesn't fail).

Thanks to both Kurt and Sebastian for quickly identifying the issue
here, and to Adrian Bunk for the libnet-ssleay-perl fix.

There's been some continued discussion today as to whether we feel
comfortable releasing the update with the 10.12 point release when we
have only been finding such issues during the week leading up to the
point release.

I fully appreciate that the large delays in getting to this point were
mostly on our part, and that postponing the release until 10.13 would
likely be frustrating, but the worry is that we don't have a good view
of the changes that might be user-affecting in order to be comfortable
with potential behaviour changes landing in oldstable - for example,
the libnet-ssleay-perl issue appears to be related to 1024-bit keys no
longer being accepted by default; while in general this is obviously a
desirable behaviour, it is nonetheless a change in the behaviour
compared to the current package in buster.

The situation is also slightly complicated by the fact the debian-
installer uses OpenSSL internally, so we are also under internal time
pressure to reach a conclusion, in order to be able to proceed with the
installer build for the point release, rather than being able to leave
the decision until the end of the week.

Thank you for bearing with us.

Regards,

Adam