Le 12/09/2023 à 14:29, Adrian Bunk a écrit :
On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 10:36:00AM +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
On Sat, 19 Aug 2023 at 10:39:44 +0200, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
llvm-defaults has been pointing to 16 in experimental for quite sometime.
Opening this transition to make sure it is on your radar! :)

I opened bug #1050070 & #1050069 for future removals.

Mesa is a significant user of LLVM, and hard-codes its own non-default
version of LLVM which often runs ahead of the default (currently 15).
It seems to be relatively common for a LLVM version upgrade to cause
regressions or uninstallability on at least one architecture, and also
relatively common for a LLVM version upgrade to be necessary to unblock
features or bug fixes in Mesa, which I assume is why the Mesa maintainers
have felt the need to control this themselves.

Should Mesa try moving to -16 *before* the default changes? It would
seem unhelpful to move the rest of the distribution to a version that
Mesa can't use for whatever reason.

Mesa is not the sole user of a non-default LLVM.

This transition is about changing the default, which affects the
packages that use the default version.

Users of non-default LLVM like mesa/rustc/chromium/ghc/qt6-tools/...
move at their own pace (otherwise they would use the default LLVM).

and they can jump from defaults to specific or the other way around

Cheers,
Sylvestre