On Mon, Jun 24, 2024 at 02:16:38PM +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:

Hi,

Hi Ondřej,

this is the pre-announcement of the bi-annual transition from PHP 8.2 to PHP 8.4
that happens before the next stable release.

Currently, the first alpha release of PHP 8.4 is planned for July 2024:

https://wiki.php.net/todo/php84

I'll try to get this to experimental as soon as possible, but usually the
extensions start to catch up with the changes around the first Release Candidate
(end of September 2024).  This is also usually the time when then PHPAPI version
settles and will not change anymore.

Thanks!

My guess is that it would be reasonable for packagers of downstream packages to
start more serious testing around first Beta version.

When the time comes (beta), I can prepare a mass rebuild of reverse
dependencies and file bugs around so we can track the progress on this
one (as I have been doing with David for symfony, phpunit, and
pkg-php-tools). I suppose we will also need a changed php-defaults
version setting it as default or as a supported version.

I've tried to CC the PEAR and HORDE packagers, if you know of more people who
should be involved in the transition, please let them know.

Ondrej

Ben file:

title = "php8.4";
is_affected = .depends ~ /phpapi-/;