Hi,

On 05-08-2024 15:46, Simon McVittie wrote:
To avoid this, I think it would have to grow a new command-line
option to tell it something like: "pin all binary packages from
src:rust-async-executor to source version 1.12.0-3, at a high priority".

I thought we were doing that *until* the fallback lifts all pinning. Rest assured that in the past I worked [1, 2] to prevent the fallback, because I consider it wrong, but it helped in quite some cases where the outcome is acceptable in the end. The price was that if it still fails, it more confusing to figure out.

I have good hopes that the version 3 solver of apt is going to improve things, I'm not sure if it would have helped in this case. But maybe it will enable us to disable the fallback again.

Paul

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/ci-team/autopkgtest/-/commit/d83497c0
[2] https://lists.debian.org/deity/2018/06/msg00034.html