Hi Rainer,

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 04:52:24PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> I upgraded my desktop system last night from sarge to etch, and at the
> end it went very well. After a single reboot the new kernel, xorg, and
> KDE came up. Impressive that it run for hours and it came in a very
> usable state.

> There have been a few glitches during the upgrade though, which I was
> able to fix. I want to share my upgrade summary, hope it helps to make etch
> even better.

Please file such upgrade reports as bugs against the upgrade-reports
pseudopackage (in the future, anyway).

> Summary of issues:
> -------------------------

> -> aptitude refused the upgrade: No soultion found for the conflicts

> open: 11182; closed: 4969; defer: 0; conflict: 3
> No solution found within the allotted time.  Try harder? [Y/n]

> Not sure if aptitude from etch would have done better here. I went with
> apt-get for the critical part.

I don't suppose you have a /var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates from before the
upgrade?  I don't really expect a particular aptitude upgrade failure to be
reproducible using just a package list.

> -> postgres-client upgrade confused apt/dpkg completely. Installation
>    of all following packages failed
> Preparing to replace postgresql-client 7.4.7-6sarge4
> (using .../postgresql-client_7.5.22_all.deb) ...
> install: `/var/lib/postgres/dumpall/7.4': Not a directory
> dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
> dpkg: error
> processing /var/cache/apt/archives/postgresql-client_7.5.22_all.deb
> (--unpack):
>  there is no script in the new version of the package - giving up

Ok, so what is /var/lib/postgres/dumpall/7.4 on your system, and do you know
how it got that way?  It is a directory on my systems, which is what it's
supposed to be.

> Preparing to replace powernowd 0.90-3
> (using .../powernowd_0.97-1_i386.deb) ...
> Stopping powernowd: powernowd.
> install: `/var/lib/postgres/dumpall/7.4': Not a directory

> Why is powernowd worried about postgres/dumpall/7.4 ???

That would be a dpkg bug.  I've seen this once before, in a certain corner
cases dpkg fails to clean up the maintainer scripts from the previous
package it was working with when that other package failed, and it ends up
invoking the broken script by mistake. :/

I don't know if this has been filed as a bug against dpkg.

>  Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic
> link /lib/modules/2.6.18-4-686/source
>  However, I can not read the target: No such file or directory
>  Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/2.6.18-4-686/source

> Running depmod.
> Finding valid ramdisk creators.
> Using mkinitrd.yaird to build the ramdisk.
> yaird error: command not found: /usr/bin/ldd (fatal)
> mkinitrd.yaird failed to create initrd image.
> Failed to create initrd image.
> dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 9

Um... /usr/bin/ldd is part of the 'Essential' package set (provided by
libc6).  What the heck happened here?!

> Certainly there is an /usr/bin/ldd
> silverboxy:/etc/cups# ls -l /usr/bin/ldd
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5972 Feb 21 16:13 /usr/bin/ldd
> silverboxy:/etc/cups#

But presumably you're checking this now, after the fact, so that's not much
of an indicator of what was wrong at the time this error happened, I'm
afraid.

> -> apt-proxy gets removed during aptitude upgrade. When apt-proxy is
>    used for the upgrade, the upgrade is broken. So no upgrades with
>    apt-proxy on localhost are possible with that method.

Heh...

Well, thanks for the report.  I'm afraid I don't know that we're going to do
much with it for etch though, your chosen upgrade path doesn't really give
us much feedback on the method we're currently recommending because it's not
clear that your aptitude attempt was consistent with the first steps on
<http://wiki.debian.org/Sarge2EtchUpgradeBlackboard>.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                   http://www.debian.org/