On Tue, February 1, 2011 22:08, Filippo Rusconi wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 09:31:08PM +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
>> This would be fine; uploading as soon as possible would be appreciated
>> in order to have the best chance of getting the fix in to the release.
>
> Will do when you confirm the process below.
>
>> I do have a couple of comments, however:
>>
>> >  patches/debian-changes-2.3.6-1squeeze1 |   41
>> >  +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>
>> Why is this not an explicit patch, rather than the dpkg "mop-up" auto
>> patch?
>
> This is the result of running
>
> dpkg-buildpackage -si -kC78F687C -S
>
> when inside of massxpert-2.3.6 when the ../massxpert-2.3.6 contains
> massxpert_2.3.6.orig.tar.gz.
>
> As evidence by the output of the dpkg-buildpackage command:
>
>  dpkg-source -b massxpert-2.3.6
> dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
> dpkg-source: info: building massxpert using existing
> ./massxpert_2.3.6.orig.tar.gz
> dpkg-source: info: local changes stored in
> massxpert-2.3.6/debian/patches/debian-changes-2.3.6-1squeeze1, the
> modified files are:  massxpert-2.3.6/gui/regionSelection.cpp
>
> Is this correct of should I modify my ways ?

When using the "3.0 (quilt)" format (or indeed any other patch-based
system), you'd generally separate out changes in to explicit named patches
each containing a separate logical change; the debian-changes-* patch gets
automatically created when there are changes to the source tree which have
not been incorporated in such a patch.

In this case, as it's the only patch and a t-p-u upload it's not a blocker
for the upload, just something to bear in mind for the future.

Regards,

Adam