> Please clarify why these changes are needed, the changelog only lists one
> 'normal' severity bug and a number of changes with no bug referenced.

Ok, sure:

  * Adding patch to prevent needless latex run when no bib-files are referenced
    (Closes: #688558).

TeXstudio executes an additional 'latex' run before running 'bibtex' (and
'latex' again). This is only ok if there really are .bib files to process. The
code contains a bug that even executes this additional 'latex' run if no .bib
files are referenced in the .tex files. The patch fixes this bug.

  * Adding patch to set the default value of "automatically run 'latex, bibtex,
    latex' if bib-files were changed" to disabled.
  * Adding patch to make 'pdflatex, viewpdf' the default quick build option.

Most users nowadays use 'pdflatex' to directly generate a .pdf file from .tex
files instead of using:
- 'latex' to generate a .dvi file
- 'dvips' to generate a .ps file from the .dvi file
- 'ps2pdf' to generate a .pdf file from the .ps file

IMHO it is absolutely reasonable to change the default behavior to use
'pdflatex' instead of 'latex'. Upstream maintainers changed the default build
option to 'pdflatex' in more recent versions as well, so I definitely think it
is the right thing to do.

If 'pdflatex' is the default build command, it makes no sense to execute this
additional 'latex' run as we don't want to use 'latex' to generate the
document. It can even lead to aborting the .pdf build process as some .tex
files don't compile with 'latex' as they use some 'pdflatex' specific
packages/settings.

  * Adding patch to prevent the config file from growing by unnecessary
    whitespace.

TeXstudio's config file keeps growing everytime you close TeXstudio due to a
bug that adds unnecessary whitespace in some command's definitions (that are
saved in the config file) if there are no command options specified. As the
command is saved as follows: <command>space<options>
This patch fixes this unwanted behavior.

  * Adding patch to disable the riddle asked when accessing advanced
    configuration options.

TeXstudio displays a riddle (a logical puzzle) you have to solve and answer in
order to display the advanced configuration options in TeXstudio's
configuration dialog. This behavior is stupid and needs to be eliminated as we
don't want to test the intelligence of our users. It doesn't even help to
protect the advanced settings as there are only three possible answers which
you can easily try...

I hope this helps. Regards
Tom