On Fri 2013-02-08 11:21:32 -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> On 02/08/2013 04:58 AM, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
>> Unfortunately that FTBFS in the same way that +deb7u1 did. :-( I'm
>> wondering if this is related to the build environment in some way.
>> Daniel - did you use sbuild, pbuilder or something else for your upload?
>
> I used a manually-built minimal kvm guest instance.  I will try to
> reproduce the build failure in a wheezy cowbuilder instance over this
> weekend :(

ok, now i'm quite confused.  I just built
xdotool_2.20100701.2961-3+deb7u2 in a freshly-created wheezy cowbuilder
instance within a stock wheezy amd64 kvm guest.  The package built with
no problems.

i created the cowbuilder instance by setting DISTRIBUTION=wheezy in
/etc/pbuilderrc and then:

 cowbuilder --create

then i transferred the following files to the machine in question:

 xdotool_2.20100701.2961-3+deb7u2.debian.tar.gz
 xdotool_2.20100701.2961-3+deb7u2.dsc
 xdotool_2.20100701.2961.orig.tar.gz

and then did:

 cowbuilder --build xdotool_2.20100701.2961-3+deb7u2.dsc

This succeeds cleanly.

It also succeeds if i set ARCHITECTURE=i386 in /etc/pbuilderrc, recreate
the cowbuilder instance, and rebuild, yielding an i386 package.

It's interesting to note that the xdotool versions currently in sid and
experimental have both succeeded on all architectures:

  https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=xdotool&suite=experimental
  https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=xdotool&suite=sid

Both of these packages use the same setup → setup_launch_xterm →
readline backtrace that triggers the EOFError for the

This makes me think something is wrong with ruby on the buildds somehow,
but i'm pretty perplexed by it.

I don't know what the right thing to do is, frankly.  I could support
either completely disabling the test suite (despite that seeming rather
wrong) or just dropping xdotool from wheezy, given how out-of-date the
candidate package is.

I'm open to other suggestions.

          --dkg