On 02/24/2013 04:46 PM, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> Even as a filtered diff, that's still a reasonably large set of
> changes. :-(

Sorry about that.

> A few comments / queries:
>
> --- live-tools.orig/bin/live-persistence      1970-01-01 01:00:00.000000000
> +0100
> +++ live-tools/bin/live-persistence   2013-02-15 10:42:34.619868805 +0100
> [...]
>
> +Most options correspond to the persistence-* options of live-boot, and will
> +override the corresponging options parsed from the kernel command-line.
>
> "corresponding"

Fixed in git. Thanks.

> --- live-tools.orig/bin/live-update-initramfs 1970-01-01 01:00:00.000000000
> +0100
> +++ live-tools/bin/live-update-initramfs      2013-02-15 09:38:30.324657057
> +0100
> [...]
> +             # FIXME: needs to exclude initrd backup files
> +             if [ "$(ls /boot/initrd.img-* | wc -l)" -gt 1 ]
> +             then
> +                     _NUMBER="1"
> +
> +                     for _INITRD in /boot/initrd.img-*
>
> "FIXME"s in apparently final(ish) code always make me slightly wary.
> What's the real-world effect of the loop picking up backup files?

It would appear the intent of this code is to ensure when running in a
live system, results of a real update-initramfs are copied to the live
medium safely (i.e. copied first to ensure we have space, then renamed
to a shorter name, presumably because some supported filesystems are
limited in length of filename that is supported). If a backup filename
exists (i.e. initrd.img-* with some additional suffix), then assuming
there is no corresponding vmlinuz-* with the same suffix, the cp of that
kernel will fail and no further kernels will be processed.

Real-world effects:

- any initrd/kernel pairs for kernel versions preceding encountering the
initrd backup will have been successfully copied (at least the first
"real" initrd/kernel will have been copied)
- any initrd/kernel pairs including the backup and following will not be
copied to the live media

Please note that prior to introduction of this code, it was not possible
for users to update their kernel and initrd in a live system with
writable live media. Also, the code will not run except on a live
system. Also, the failure does not leave the system unbootable, just
without second and subsequent kernels actually updated.

Possible user recovery:

- removal of the backup files (I have not seen any of these. Who creates
such files?) should allow live-update-initramfs to operate properly

The other questions are harder. I will investigate further and get back
to you.

Thanks,
Ben