On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 16:18:32 +0200, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to propose two release goals for Jessie (and probably
> Jessie + 1).
>
> First, I would like to propose a release goal which will aim to make
> sure that the CC and CXX variables are honored.
> Currently, last time I tried, around 40 % of the packages will not take
> in account such declaration [1].
> CC=/usr/bin/randomcompiler CXX=/usr/bin/randomcompiler++ dpkg-buildpackage

I for one don't think package builds should obey random environment
variables, so I wouldn't consider a failure of the above command a bug,
let alone an important one.  And 40% of failures means this isn't even
close to achievable as a release goal, even if there was consensus
around the idea.

What would that buy you over changing /usr/bin/cc and /usr/bin/c++
anyway?

Cheers,
Julien