I recently install snort on my laptop to check it out and now my pcmcia network card
will pass IP only when snort is running (daemon mode or not), or I have to put my
network card in promiscuous mode [#ifconfig eth0 -promisc].

I can't find any configuration that is obvious to me that would cause this, but I'm an
intermediate linux user.  Any suggestions on where to look and what to look for?

Also, are what problems might using promiscuous mode cause?

thanks,
jc