This is really goofy.  But I've been able to (at least in my case) narrow
the "problem" down to using Xircom cards.  The 3Com card that I use in my
other Debian laptop works great (switching between the two demonstrates
this behavior as well, so it isn't the laptop, and the 3Com card is Cardbus
as well).

If I switch the Xircom to promiscuous mode, ping the gateway, and then
switch back, everything is great.  Until I switch it into promiscuous,
though, no traffic occurs.  The really weird thing is that I *do* get
enough traffic through to allow DHCP configuration on startup.  Using a
static IP address works (although I'm hijacking an address in the DHCP
field.. can't wait 'till the guy in charge finds out...)

At 06:37 PM 3/7/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Jaan Sarv wrote:
>
> > > Also, paranoid network administrators might be a little upset by it,
> since
> > > Linux sends out a frame indicating it is switching into (or out
> > > of) promiscuous mode. This is possible evidence that you're running a
> > > sniffer of some kind (such as snort).
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > How can I recognize such frames/packets? I know this isn't very effective
> > method when trying to discover sniffers, but worth a shot.
> >
> > Is there a way to disable those frames/packets?
> >
> > Jaan
> >
> > a bit paranoid :)
>Unless I'm mistaken, there was an article in phrack magazine a while back
>about a kernel patch that disables the sending of the "promscuous
>mode" packet. For this reason, only misconfigured computers (or script
>kiddies) would be sending this out; truly skilled {cr,h}ackers are
>unlikely to not patch the kernel before doing any covert sniffing.
>
>Regards,
>
>Alex.
>

>--

Eric N. Valor