Am 2004-01-04 03:28:16, schrieb kuene:
>hi I am new to the list.
>
>and sometimes it seems to me that I am new to debian too ;)

Hello and Welcome...

>I am very much confused about the names of the kernels and I am not sure
>if 2.4.18-bf2.4 is still a secure kernel or not.

It is a Kernel like the others.

>what I have found out lately:
>the bf24 variant of the 2.4.18 kernel is only good for installation.
>after that you should change it to an other kernel.
>an the package is not installed and so not upgraded if security risks
>arise.

Kernels are never updated !
This is what you must di it yourself.

>now:
>I run 2.4.18-bf2.4 on all my machines. I am a lazy guy and want to stick
>with my kernel because it runs just fine.

;-)

>my question:
>If I install the kernel image package 2.4.18-bf2.4 will the kernel be
>secure, if my apt/sources contains security.debien.org.
>(apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4)

It is the same Kernel... - Better is, if you install the right
flavour like a 2.4.18-k7 ore somthing like this.

>will it be a pached one? specially against dsa-403
>bf 2.4 is not listed her :( http://www.debian.org/security/2003/dsa-403

Install the latest sources from 2.4.23 and compile your own !

This is highly recommended !

>thanks a lot
>
>kuene

Greetings