thanks a lot to all.

now I really understand. :b

below I write down what I have understood.
please correct me if I am still wrong.

In debian every package is pached if security holes are known.
--> exception is the package:
    kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4

Even if you install it (apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4)
it will be an old one, with security holes!

However, in the past there have been paches for this one: DSA-311
http://www.debian.org/security/2003/dsa-311
DSA-311-1 linux-kernel-2.4.18 -- several vulnerabilities
[snip]
If you are using the kernel installed by the installation system when
the "bf24" option is selected (for a 2.4.x kernel), you should install
the kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4 package
[snip]
now the package  kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4 is no longer patched....

>>-- Quote from Matt Zimmerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    >> More accurately,
    >> the installer should have prevented you from falling
    >> into this trap in the first place.
    >> This is one of the many improvements in
    >> debian-installer.
>>--
so it is really strange because:
apt-cache show kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4
[snip]
 NOTE: This package is primarily intended to be used as the initial
 installation kernel. You may go fine with it but if you need
 additional drivers or optimisation for your CPU type, please look at
 the other kernel-image-2.4.18-* packages.
[snip]

there is written: "you may go fine with it."
but how can I possibly go fine with it when there are no security
updates??

summary:
the package kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4
is VULNERABLE and should be changed with an other kernel-package.

thanks a lot for your help.
greetings
kuene