At 11:03 AM 1/21/2002, you wrote:
On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 07:54:03PM +0100, eim wrote:

> Why has Debian choosen to let users access root's home ?

Why not?  Debian doesn't put any sensitive files there.  In fact, it
doesn't put anything notable there at all.

There is at least one package in Debian that requires you to put sensitive information in /root. The mysql server package needs you to have a .my.cnf in the /root if you want the logs to rotate. The my.cnf contains the clear text version of the root password to the database.

----
Cut from /etc/logrotate.d/mysql-server
# If the root user has a password you have to create a
# /root/.my.cnf configuration file with the following
# content:
----

> Let me say I "chmod 0700 /root", will I encounter any
> problems through some anacrom jobs or anything else ?
Since nothing important is installed in /root, there should be no
problems with denying access.

I have changed /root to 0700 on all my installations because I am running mysql server. It hasn't broken anything.

Chris