We've had a number of hacked boxen recently.  It appears a certain
person (Romanian we think) is specifically targeting us and our
customers (looks like he hit a machine and found connections from others
in their logs, went from there).

We have no idea how he's getting in, but we've got his rootkit fairly
nailed down (he uses a few slightly different ones).

We've caught a few systems as he was breaking in (we have
.bash_history files and the site he downloads his rootkits from).

The part that bothers me is that all of these systems were updated to
the newest versions on debian.security.org (if apt-get was doing its
job) and firewalled down to just the ports we needed (22, 25, 53, 80).

My boss is thinking they might have some sort of crack for OpenSSH (only
service I can say all of these have in common) and he's considering
trying a switch to the nonfree one just to see if it helps.

While I don't like this (OpenSSH is open and it should be that way), has
anyone else had this kind of experience?  Is there some big hack I
should know about?

I've checked CERT and the SANS list.  Both of them were helpful, but
most of the answers said "run the newest version of X", which I have
assumed apt-get fixed (in stable at least).  I mean, some versions were
older, but I had heard most of them had backported fixes.  Is this
happening to anyone else?

I'm at a complete loss as to how to explain this one, help would be
appreciated.  The only comforting thought is that I can't imaging Redhat
would have done any better.

Jayson Vantuyl
Computing Edge, Inc.