> > > i had the same problems before i recompiled my own linker. can you
> > > just try to do 'ld -V' and see if that dumps core. at least i'll know
> > > i am not the only one who has these kind of problems.
> >
> > ipx:~# ld -V
> > GNU ld version 2.9.1 (with BFD 2.9.1.0.25)
> >   Supported emulations:
> >    elf32_sparc
> >    sparclinux
> >    sun4
> >    elf64_sparc
> >
> > No core dump there...
> >
> > ipx:~# ld --help
> > Usage: ld [options] file...
> > ... (deleted)...
> > ld: supported targets: elf32-sparc a.out-sparc-linux a.out-sunos-big
> > elf64-sparc srec symbolsrec tekhex binary ihex
> > ld: supported emulations: elf32_sparc sparclinux sun4 elf64_sparc
> >
> > Any ideas? I'll try compiling my own, just to see if it helps.
>
> Forget if you already posted this, but what kernel version are you running,
> and
> what type of sparc (sun4[cdm]?).

Linux ipx 2.2.1 #1 Sun Feb 28 18:57:45 EST 1999 sparc unknown

IPX, sun4c, 32M. The kernel is the default 2.2.1 kernel that debian installed
for me. I was actually trying to compile a newer one when I came across
this problem. :-) I've run debian on this machine before without a problem,
but my HD died and I had to reinstall.

james