Hi,

Has anyone got a working console redirection set up with a Sun Fire 280R's
RSC card and a Linux kernel 2.6.x? I do a 'bootmode -u normal' followed
by a 'reset', and that temporarily resets the PROM variables output-device
and input-device so that it goes to rsc-console. (The keyboard and monitor
remain plugged in physically at the time.)

This gets me the PROM input/output nicely, then I boot into SILO, but then
problems arise. With a 2.4.x kernel, I get the console output, but no input.
With 2.6.x I get nothing after the screen is cleared for the first time by
the kernel.

The relevant silo.conf bits are:

append="video=atyfb:off"
[...]

# this is the 2.4.x image that output to RSC (but doesn't take input from it)
image=/boot/vmlinuz.old
  label=linux.oldsc
  append="video=atyfb:off console=ttyS0,9600n8"

# these two don't output anything to the RSC
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21.5
  label=linux215
  initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.21.5
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21.5
  label=linux215sc
  initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.21.5
  append="video=atyfb:off console=ttyS0,9600n8"

I also tried removing all of framebuffer and boot logo from the 2.6 kernel,
but nothing changed.

What am I doing wrong?

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.