OK, so you have both libraries meaning then at least it appears you should
be able to run an application based on lesstif2, right?

Also, 620414 / 1024 is ~ 605.87, which could be rounded to 606KB. I
download one via HTTP. I see a size of 623092, which is 608.48, rounds down
to 608KB.

 I'm not sure what apt-get does to verify, but it probably does *some* kind
of verification. You can check the MD5 sum easily though:

$ md5sum file.deb

I've never used "wc -c" to list a file size; I'm not sure if it has other
semantics. It's coming up close what you're expecting, so maybe it does
something like skip certain bytes in the file? 'ls -l' will display the
file size for sure.

Patrick