On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 07:34:31AM +0200, Romain Dolbeau wrote:
> > Interesting to note, thank you.
>
> If you have a full build of zfs from source, you can try
> "zfs/cmd/raidz_test/raidz_test -B".
>
> > I wonder why
> > my grub-install onto my sda1 isn't working, and yours onto your sdd1 is.
>
> Barely so far. After a couple of trials (and adding the boot partition to
> fstab,
> among other things), I got to the point where I get the grub menu & grub
> load the kernel... then it blows up because "/etc/zfs/zfs-functions" is
> missing.
> That file is in the Debian packages (zfsutils-linux I think), but is
> not installed
> by the packages created by 'make deb' from git... so I tried rebuilding the
> Debian sources with "debuild', but that blows up with an error about missing
> "usr/lib/dracut" in "debian/tmp"...

Interesting.  I didn't go quite that far to the root, I took the suggetion
of James Clarke on this list [1], and downloaded the debian source packages
for zfs-linux and built those.  I think that may've saved me some of the
complexities that you came across.

I'm glad to see that you got it all running!  Unfortunately, I'm still stuck
with not being able to load grub from sda1 on my host.  It loads from sdd1,
and loads that disks ext4 installation.  But I'm not even getting it loaded
from sda1 where there is a grub.cfg that knows about the ZFS install.

I tried recently to add an entry to the grub.cfg on my ext layout that would
load the kernel and root from my ZFS volume.  But that only gives me:

  Booting a command list

error: unable to open
/pci@0/pci@0/pci@1/pci
@0/pci@1/pci@0/usb@0,2/hub@4/device@4/st.
error: unable to open
/pci@0/pci@0/pci@1/pci
@0/pci@1/pci@0/usb@0,2/hub@4/device@4/st.
ERROR: /pci@0: Last Trap: Fast Data Access MMU Miss

{0} ok

so I fear I've configured it incorrectly.  Definately not well versed in
grub, and there may well be things outside of the menuentry I added that are
conflicting with what I put in borrowed from the other disks grub-mkconfig
(run when I was setting it all up in chroot)  The working entry run starts with
command list".  So.  :-/

Can you confirm the version of grub that you've used to grub-install onto
your disk, and show me how your disk is labeled/partitioned?  Maybe mail me
your grub.cfg off-list, so I can see how that compares to the one I'm trying
to squeeze into the one on my ext disk.

(Side question, can it break things to boot grub and it's config off of one
/boot, then load root and have it configured to load a different /boot?)

                - Chris

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2018/05/msg00005.html