On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Michael Olds wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> First, thanks to all who responded with suggestions. I'm still working on
> Sendmail. I have it working half way following Oliver's suggestions ...I can
> send, but I am not receiving anything, either locally or over the Internet.

Hi,
try to send an email to yourself via mail

mail yourlinuxusername

Then run as root amilq to see if the email you sent ist still in the
queue. If so you have to change the settings in
/etc/sendmail/sendmail.conf.

When i first installed the woody sendmail packages all the files in
/etc/mail (like alais, genericstable, ...) where missing and I had to
copy them from the examples in /usr/share/sendmail/example.

A good way to start a simple configuration mainly to send/receive email
from your ISP/to the internet is the document written from by Michael-John Turner

      Using sendmail on a dialup-connected machine

      This article describes how to setup and use sendmail on a machine =
which is connected to the Internet via a dialup (SLIP or PPP) connection =
and which does not have a registered hostname. If you have any =
comments/questions/corrections please mail me. Much of the information =
in this article is taken from Brad Knowles' excellent sendmail FAQ, but =
I have embellished on some things and outlined in a step-by-step fashion =
what you need to use sendmail with a dialup Internet connection. The =
author is not a sendmail expert, but the steps outlined below have =
worked for him. YMMV.=20

      Install and configure sendmail as per the instructions for your =
particular machine. This article convers users using both 8.6.x and =
8.7.x style configuration files, so most users should be able to follow =
these. It is recommended that those of you using versions less than =
8.7.6 upgrade to it as soon as possible as earlier versions have some =
serious security problems.=20

      In this example, the person wishing to use sendmail has a real =
email address at his ISP of [EMAIL PROTECTED], but his or her machine =
at home has a fake address of dogbert.fakehost.com (ie no DNS entry =
exists for dogbert). The user's ISP's mail server is mail.hendrix.org =
and he or she logs in as mj at home. Note: the editing of the sendmail =
config files and the restarting of sendmail requires that you be root.=20

-

      Step #1: Masquerade host

        You now need to edit /etc/sendmail.cf to tell it which host to =
masquerade as. Look for a line which says something like:=20

# who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=3DM)
DM

        and add your address to the end of the line beginning "DM". Our =
user changed it to the following=20
DMhendrix.org

        When our user sends mail, the "Return-Path" and "From:" fields =
will now say that the mail comes from hendrix.org. This prevents "cannot =
route to sender" messages which certain hosts you send mail to may =
generate because your machine does not have a DNS entry. We must still =
change the user portion of the email address, because if our user sends =
mail now, the "From:" field will read "[EMAIL PROTECTED]", which is not =
correct. If you login to your home machine with the same username as the =
username portion of your email address, you can skip ahead to restarting =
sendmail. If you have different usernames (as our example does), you =
need to add a user database.=20

      Step #2: Create a user database

        Create a file modelled on the following:=20

loginname:mailname      First_Last
First_Last:maildrop     loginname

        "loginname" is the name you login is on your machine at home (in =
this case mj), "First_Last" is the name portion of your email address =
(in this case mjturner). In this case our user created a file called =
/etc/userdb containing the following:=20
mj:mailname             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
mjturner:maildrop       mj

        Once you have done this, you need to convert the text file =
/etc/userdb into a Berkeley "db" database file which sendmail can =
understand. To do this, you need to run makemap as follows:=20
# makemap btree /etc/userdb.db < /etc/userdb

        This creates the database file /etc/userdb.db from the text file =
/etc/userdb. You must remember do this every time you change /etc/userdb =
otherwise sendmail will not be using your latest user database when =
sending mail.=20

      Step #3: Add user database to sendmail.cf

        You must also tell sendmail to use your user database =
(/etc/userdb.db) when sending mail. The syntax differs slightly =
depending on whether you are using an 8.7.x/8.8.x or 8.6.x config file. =
You can tell which version yours is by searching for the string "DZ" =
(grep ^DZ /etc/sendmail.cf). For example, an 8.8.0 config file would say =
"DZ8.8.0".=20

          a.. 8.6.x config file
          If you are using an 8.6.x config file, look for a line =
beginning=20
# list of locations of user database file (null means no lookup)
OU

          and add the location of your user database. Our user changed =
the above line to:=20
OU/etc/userdb.db

          a.. 8.7.x or 8.8.x config file
          If you are using an 8.7.x or 8.8.x config file look for a line =
beginning=20
# list of locations of user database file (null means no lookup)
O UserDatabaseSpec=3D

          and add the location of your user database to it. Our user =
changed it to the following:=20
O UserDatabaseSpec=3D/etc/userdb.db

      Step #4: Restart sendmail

        After making these changes, as root you need to restart =
sendmail:=20

# ps aux | grep sendmail | grep -v grep=20
root        64  0.0  0.0  1208     0  ?  SW  11:45   0:00 (sendmail)

# kill -HUP 64

        (use ps -ef instead of ps aux if you're using SysV).=20

        sendmail will now re-read its config file (/etc/sendmail.cf) and =
everything should be working. When you send mail, the from header field =
will be a valid email address and not the address you have on your =
machine. For example, when our user sends mail, it will read "From: =
[EMAIL PROTECTED]" in the headers. This works with all mail user =
agents (Mutt, Elm, Pine, mh, etc) because the address translation is =
done at the mail transport agent level. Basically, you can use any =
program to send mail and your address will be correct.=20

      Optional: Configure a "smart" relay

        It can take quite a while for mail to get delivered to its final =
destination, as sendmail has to connect to the mail servers of the =
recipients of your mail. This time would have to be spent online, =
something which can prove to be costly. If, however, you configure =
sendmail to use a "smart" relay, it will deliver all mail to that relay =
and the relay will then deliver it to its destination. Your ISP's mail =
server makes an ideal "smart" relay.=20

        Change=20

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DS

        to=20

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSmail.hendrix.org

        Don't forget to restart sendmail after doing this (see =
restarting sendmail). All non-local mail will now be sent to =
mail.hendrix.org which will then deliver it to its final destination.=20

Documentation ]=20
      [ Graphics | Linux ftp Sites | LEG ftp Site | Linux Links | =
Mirrors | Search | Mail Us ]=20
-

      Written by Michael-John Turner
      Last updated on Thursday, June 26 1997 at 17:51 SAST. =20

So be patient and try to keep to sendmail ... it is worth it.
There are so many features that can be administrated.
First thing to look is at the sendmail-doc package in
/usr/share/doc/sendmail-doc (if you have installed it).

Oliver
---
... don't touch the bang-bang fruit