It doesn't' make it a different program at all. IT just says I want to expressly ask to print out my pattern space. Don't do it for me. Nothing bad or evil about that. Doesn't violate the 'philosophy' at all. Which do you think is better, sed/sed -n or two entirely separate tools differing only in this single respect of behavior?