> Can I safely use "woody" or "sarge" instead of
> stable and testing for
> the distribution specifier in /etc/apt/sources.list
> or can this cause
> trouble? Im afraid of an unwanted upgrade to a new
> distribution when
> testing suddenly becomes stable.

yes you can and imho it makse very much sense.
as using 'stable' makes no sense at all imho.

frankly, the fact that debian puts 'stable' in
source.list automatically is littlebit scaring.
For example when sarge is new stable one day, and im
doing another (semi-)automatic apt-get upgrade, theres
good chance that this messes some things up.

for example, lately i had woody running , nice and
clean.
Now I put 'sarge' everywhere in source.list and did
'apt-get update && apt-get -u dist-upgrade'.

Now, packages did'nt get upgraded, but most of the
packages were removed. And I had only woody's official
packages installed, no selfmade.

As far as I remeber, I should've installed apt first,
because woody's apt could'nt deal with those
dependencies correctly to find packages to upgrade,
and therefore most packages ( like postgrsql ) went to
removal.

there are more things in debian that are weird, like
most /etc/init.d/ scripts that doesnt give you any
feedback (at least not to stdout) - I've modified most
of then manually, adding 'ps axuw|grep -i slapd' and
so on..

And that slapd (openldap ) is running root:root ? why
the hell?

cheers,
http://www.axeltabs.com/

__