Mark Ferlatte wrote:

richard lyons said on Thu, May 20, 2004 at 05:59:23PM -0400:

On Wednesday 19 May 2004 17:05, Bojan Baros wrote:

Link: http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys

So, what's everyone take on this?

Another software patent. Any really good idea that is to become the new standard _has_ to be released open source and copyleft.

Uh, it is open source, and copyleft:

http://domainkeys.sourceforge.net/

The only reference to possible patent issues is the general "if we have a
patent on it, you get a royalty-free license" statement on the DomainKeys page
(http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys), which seems to indicate that even if
yahoo does have a patent on domainkeys, it doesn't matter, 'cause you can
implement it for free anyway.

I'm agin it.
I don't care how it's dressed, it is just another form of mechanism that we are going to see much more of, that has nothing to do with spam, and everything to do with control.

Keep the net open. That is the one factor that guarantees the creatively innovative freedom we have attained so far.
If spam is the price we have to pay for that, so be it. Far better than losing it, to have it replaced by cable television, complete with ads (a more refined form of spam) on speed.
Spam has its place. It's the factor that supplies the motivation for the creation of better spam filters.
Who has the best ones now?

Deal with the environment as it stands. The only alternative is submission to the concept of more walls and fences, and that's a trade off only sheep are prepared to accept.
Regards,

David.