hey all,

after a reboot, my sound has disappeared.  music123 tells me

Error: Cannot open device oss.

so i look to see if I've got the apporpriate modules in my kernel
(which I should have; this never _used_to be a problem!), and, as far
as I can tell, I don't.  I only have:

serial                 42436   0 (autoclean)
vfat                    9548   0 (unused)
fat                    29848   0 [vfat]

I need at least "sound" and the module for my soundcard, yes?  es1371
(which is what I think I need for my Ensoniq) is in /etc/modules, but
it's not getting loaded; there's nothing i can see in dmesg,
/var/log/messages, or /var/log/syslog that's relevant.

So i try to modprobe it in by hand, and get the following output:

/lib/modules/2.4.20+nori-orange/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.o: init_module: No such
device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO
or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.20+nori-orange/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.20+nori-orange/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20+nori-orange/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.o: insmod es1371 failed

No such device? What device?  I have all the /dev/dsps:

crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Jun 22 00:53 /dev/dsp
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Apr 14  2001 /dev/dsp0
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  19 Jun 22 00:53 /dev/dsp1
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  35 Jun 22 00:53 /dev/dsp2
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  51 Jun 22 00:53 /dev/dsp3

googling for these errors turns up many problems with them, but no
good solutions (one person fixed his problem by rebooting;
unsurprisingly, this didn't work for me).

Am I going about thins in the wrong way?  what can I do to get sound
working again?

thanks a loT!

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++