On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:33:10 +0100
rich lott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> First, is it right that you pretty much have to run jack (and therefore
> all audio apps) as root? I can't get it started as any other user - it
> starts but the clients can't find it.

(see the second and third parts of my response in particular)

> Second, is there anyway to get Arts to use Jack? (and then, any way to
> get ESD to use it?)

Not that I'm aware of at this time.  It's important to note, however,
that jackd was not intended to be a general, all-purpose audio server.

> Call me radical, but I thought it would be really good if all my apps
> which make sounds could...well, make sounds, without interfering
> with/blocking eachother. I like jack because I play with hydrogen and
> audacity and so I appreciate the low latency.

When did audacity become a jackd client?

Anyway, jackd running should not prevent esd from sending sound to
the soundcard via ALSA.  If it is, there's an issue to be resolved.
However, if you are running jackd because you do pro-audio stuff,
you want to get rid of esd and aRts if you can, because they increase
latencies.

> There doesn't seem to be much on the net about jack, perhaps it's too
> young yet?

There's lots about JACK on the net; you simply have to poke around.
Google is your friend.

-c

                (remove "snip-me." to email)