rich lott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> related question, ALSA : can 2+ apps play through it at once? I understand the
> answer is no, that's what you need jack/arts/esd for, but then some comments
> seemed to hint otherwise. It certainly doesn't seem to work that way.

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=AlsaSharing basically says that
ALSA allows sound mixing, with more or less setup involved depending
on wether h/w supports mixing, apps use the ALSA or OSS api, a sound
server is involved...

Disclaimer: It's been a long time since I toyed with sound, which
means I didn't try any sound-related stunts recently.  One can hope
the link is accurate: The page's history says it was created on July
16th.