On 07/20/04 18:40, Paul Yeatman wrote:

I'm fairly sure the system is using esd with OSS drivers so this
could be the difference. Well, actually, how do I confirm OSS
drivers?

While I'm no expert, I can see mine here on this stock kernel:

~$ grep -i oss /boot/config-2.4.25-1-686
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST=m
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m

Just substitute your kernel image config filename.

I have no idea what 'esdctl unlock' does but I did as you said (got
a series of increasing pitch tones when I ran 'esd &') but
got the same result: xmms et al. work fine, while the browser,
trying to employ the flash plugin, incurably freezes.

My flashplayer finally works w/ sound if I killall esd before visiting a
flash-animated web page. The freezes are more rare. But I do not hear any sounds from other sources (gaim, for ex.) while the flash animation is playing, even with 'esdctl unlock'.

See the thread and my post of July 13 Subject: Re: Still no sound in Flash for more info.

Bottom line, it doesn't look like an issue of oss vs. alsa.

Oh, esd -nobeeps  will be easier on your ears!

Here's my config file if it's any help:

$ cat /etc/esound/esd.conf
[esd]
auto_spawn=1