On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 10:10:28AM +0100, nx13372 wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| I'm using kernel 2.4.26-1-686-smp.
| I have a dual xeon box. If in the bios i enable the HT i'll get 4 cpus,
| if not i'll get 2 cpus.

You have 2 Physical CPUs regardless.  With HT each physical CPU is
divided into 2 Logical CPUs.  I've heard HT called "poor-man's SMP".

| What is bettter?

I would imagine HT is generally better than no-HT.  To be certain you
would have to benchmark both settings in your environment.  My
workstation at work is a hyperthreaded uniprocessor P4.  With an -smp
kernel I see two logical CPUs.  It runs nice and fast (it also happens
to be 3GHz).  I have no other experience with multiple processor
systems.

-D

--
A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in.
  --Kim Alm, a.s.r

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]