on Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 08:15:36AM -0400, Steve Glines ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > on Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 01:13:53AM -0700, Paul Johnson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> >>Don't install more than you need installed.  That'll get you about 90%
> >>there.  The last 10% can be taken care of with groups and file
> >>permissions, or if you want to overkill it, the ACL permission support
> >>in 2.6 might be of help (however, I don't use ACL support, don't know
> >>how well it works, and have more or less been waiting for success or
> >>horror stories which have yet to materialize from what I've seen).
> >

> > ...user state in ramdisk and/or copied into the user's account at
> > startup.  And a watchdog to slay the user if critical files disappear or
> > are changed.
> >
> > One of the better descriptions I've seen of a Linux Kiosk configuration
> > is JWZ's DNA Lounge systems.  San Francisco nightclub, typically filled
> > with several hundred highly individualistic patrons under varying
> > influences astrological to zoological, and overall both reliable and
> > usable.  GIYF.
>
> Just invoke users shell as bash -r

Not sufficient.

RTFM.  You'll find that the restrictions within a restricted bash shell
are dropped when executing shell scripts.  Which is a handy way for
doing various things.  And hence, rather limiting.

I'd look at a chroot or UML jail for additional security.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten
    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.