Jon Dowland wrote:

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:04:02 -0400, c0ldfusi0n <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

APT (http://packages.debian.org/{stable|testing|unstable}/base/apt)
Which is a frontend for DPKG
(http://packages.debian.org/{stable|testing|unstable}/base/dpkg)

Ok but how? How does apt or dpkg determine the architecture - and thus how can it be instructed to use a different one?

APT uses a file named sources.list located in /etc/apt in which you tell Apt what type of Debian installation you're running (stable, testing or unstable) and where you also specify where to get the packages.

I'm running unstable so my /etc/apt/sources.list looks like this:
# For PHP5
deb http://packages.dotdeb.org ./
# sources.list generated by apt-spy v3.1
deb http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian/ unstable main
deb-src http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian/ unstable main
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sid/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sid/non-US main contrib non-free

A stable/testing installation would be slightly different from that. I used a tool named apt-spy (apt-get install apt-spy or http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=apt-spy&searchon=all&subword=1&version=all&release=all) to genereate a list of fast mirrors. To do so, just get it and type something like
apt-spy -d {stable|testing|unstable} -a America
And let it go for a while. You'll end up with the best packages server list possible for you!

Note: does anyone ever tell you your last name oddly looks like "download"?!

--
        - c0ld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>