I downloaded hundreds of packages through an online
"apt-get dist-upgrade" from a fast mirror and then
from the central download site; I assumed that they
were being installed by apt as it went along (it tok a
day and a half by modem) but it seems only bits and
pieces were installed.

The bits and pieces that were installed were critical
ones that seem to have the whole system out of whack.
For example, I now have a new kernel (2.4.27-x) and
the new lib6c library (2.3.x) going but very little
else is up to date.  The compiler is 2.95 which puts
it out of whack with both the old kernel and the new
one, which was compiled with 3.0.  I _have_ the
gcc-3.3 packages and all its depends sitting in the
/var/cache/apt/archives directory, but am forced to go
in there with dpkg -i and install all the separate
pieces by hand.

I tried changing my sources.list to only point to this
area but apt seems to think all those .debs have been
installed.  I tried "apt-get --fix-broken
dist-upgrade" and it said the same thing.  APT is
convinced all those packages in the archive are
installed but most of them are not.

I tried to use "dselect" but was unable to make it
work. That was likely my fault as I found the the
interface very confusing.  If "dselect" is my only
choice I will go back to "dpkg -i" and laboriously cut
and paste all the warnings and do it by hand.