Jason D. Berg wrote:

Huy T. wrote:

Hey all I'm looking for a new operating system to use as a primary OS instead of Windows XP. I noticed that there is extensive documentation located at tldp.org. Could anyone share any sites with me for expediting a newer user to getting up and setup running this system effectively? Starting off by installing a HDD installation of Knoppix since I heard it was basically debian.

Books even?  How did you all learn?  Any assistance is much appreciated.

<snip>

As for a good book, I've heard great things about /The Linux Cookbook/. I've never read it myself, but it's based on Debian and a lot of people seem to like it. If you want to learn Linux, do what I did. Use it. Run into problems. Google for answers. If you can't find the answer on google, then voice your problems on mailing lists and read the responses.

The Linux cookbook is available here:-

http://www.nostarch.com/frameset.php?startat=lcbk2_stutz

Regards,

David.