[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 08:29:51PM -0500, Etienne Fontaine-Lavoie wrote:

I'm sorry.  Here it is again in plain text

I'm running Sarge with an old Ensoniq Sounscape Elite ISA card. I read a lot during the past few month to get this card working but everything I tried didn't work so far. It's a pretty old card and all the information I could find was outdated. One thing I know is that I had sound with this card on Redhat (can't remember the version but it was in 1998!). The card is not discovered by the system because I got nothing when I try the isapnp tool. I know the dma, irq, etc. but it didn't work when I entered them as options in the alsa file in /etc/modutil/alsa (I did an "update-modules" after). When I start alsa (/etc/init.d/alsa start), I got this message:"Starting ALSA.../etc/init.d/alsa: Error: alsactl restore failed with message 'alsactl: load_state:1134: No soundcards found...'".

None of these cards is really PnP. The Rev3 of this card has a flash rom chip to store settings, but the irq, dma, and io port can only be changed with a DOS utility. The Rev1 cards do not have the chip, and must be _initialized_ in DOS, then warm-booted into any other OS to work. This was a real pain, because most of the cards had a Matshushima CD-ROM connector on-board. If the card wasn't initialized before you booted into another OS (I used it with Linux, OS/2, and NT 3.5), not only did your card not work, your cdrom didn't work, either. The sequence was.....boot dos, see config.sys load the driver, and autoexec.bat kick off the driver program, hit ctrl-alt-delete, and boot into the other OS.

Thank god for OS/2's boot manager back in those days.

Also, after doing a lot of things, I heard some scrachy sounds but this was a few weeks ago.

Classic behavior of hitting upon the right ports, but not having the card properly initialized. I used to have this problem with OS/2 all the time. I'm guessing, unfortunately, that you've got a Rev1 card, because iirc, the Rev3 cards don't have this behavior (you'll have to forgive any memory lapses here, I sold this card like eight years ago after endless frustration with it).

I don't know if my webcam's microphone interfere with the sound card.

Seriously doubt it. Those were some messed up cards. If you look closely, you'll see an 8Mhz motorola 68000 processor on the board, probably. That should give you an indication of how weird the hardware is.

I was thinking about getting a newer card but I want to give a try with this one before doing so.

Buy a SB-Live card. They're cheap now, and deliver better sound than any ISA card could ever hope to. The SoundScape was pretty cool at the time, but its day is long past. I had fun with it at first, but when computers moved past DOS, it left a good amount of hardware behind.

--
Sean Bergeron, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

After a few months of experiencing things, I just did what Sean told me and I got a SB live for 30$. I don't know if I mess up the driver with my experiences with the Soundscape. I use module-assistant to build the alsa driver and I have errors: "/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/pcm_native.c:3053: error:
â redefinition of `snd_pcm_mmap_data_open'
â /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/sound/pcm.h:948: error:
â `snd_pcm_mmap_data_open' previously defined here
â /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/pcm_native.c:3059: error:
â redefinition of `snd_pcm_mmap_data_close'
â /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/sound/pcm.h:954: error:
â `snd_pcm_mmap_data_close' previously defined here
â make[6]: *** [/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/kbuild/../acore/pcm_native.o]
â Error 1
â make[5]: *** [/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/kbuild/../acore] Error 2
â make[4]: *** [_module_/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/kbuild] Error 2
â make[3]: *** [modules] Error 2

I also tried to use the original alsa driver but the modprobe command fails "modprobe snd-emu10k1;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe snd-mixer-oss;modprobe snd-seq-oss
WARNING: Error inserting snd (/lib/modules/2.6.7-1-686/updates/alsa/acore/snd.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting snd_hwdep (/lib/modules/2.6.7-1-686/updates/alsa/acore/snd-hwdep.ko): Invalid module format

The card is seen with the lspci command and I can use Alsaconf but I got

Running update-modules...
WARNING: Error inserting snd_page_alloc (/lib/modules/2.6.7-1-686/updates/alsa/acore/snd-page-alloc.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting snd (/lib/modules/2.6.7-1-686/updates/alsa/acore/snd.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting snd_ac97_codec (/lib/modules/2.6.7-1-686/updates/alsa/pci/ac97/snd-ac97-codec.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_timer (/lib/modules/2.6.7-1-686/updates/alsa/acore/snd-timer.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting snd_pcm (/lib/modules/2.6.7-1-686/updates/alsa/acore/snd-pcm.ko): Invalid module format
FATAL: Error inserting snd_audigyls (/lib/modules/2.6.7-1-686/updates/alsa/pci/emu10k1/snd-audigyls.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
Setting default volumes...

 Now ALSA is ready to use.
 For adjustment of volumes, use your favorite mixer.

 Have a lot of fun!

I have a lot of fun indeed, but I'm getting really tired and my girlfriend is getting really bored!

Thanks!