After 18 hours of upgrading on my very slow 100 MHz Pentium,
it ended up producing an unending stream of

multilog: warning: unable to write to /var/log/svscan/current. pausing: out of
disk space

The installation log file (made using script on another partition)
also contains complaints that other files did not exist -- presumably
because they were not created because of lack of space.

There seemed not much point in continuing, since many of the package
upgrades were likely to have been damaged (unless aptitude is
very good at dealing with this -- is it?), so I cancelled the upgrade,
and am composing this mail on another woody in another partition
(my spare -- a backup of the one that failed to upgrade properly.)

When I started the upgrade, my main 4G partition (which contained everything
except /home) was only half full.  I thought I had lots of room.

Just how much space is needed for an upgrade, anyway?

Is it possible to bring this upgrade into a consistent state
(possibly by deleting lots of packages, or resuming with aptitude
after reorganising the disk space), or should I just trash it,
make a bigger partition somewhere else, copy my backup partition to it
and start over?

-- hendrik