On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 08:37:24PM +0200, Maurits van Rees wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 04:46:22PM +0100, peter colton wrote:
> > did you clear var out for apt.
> >  apt-get clean
> >  apt-get autoclean
>
> I would vote for apt-get autoclean here. 'clean' removes all package
> files. 'autoclean' only removes files that cannot be downloaded
> anymore. So autoclean would keep the packages that he just downloaded.
>
> On the other hand, all the woody packages can still be downloaded too
> off course, so autoclean might not help that much. Well, it is safe to
> try autoclean first. If that doesn't help enough a full clean may
> help.
>
> BTW, I am guessing here that you will need to let apt download all
> packages again as not all of them are installed correctly now. But it
> may be that most of them are fine.
>
> Oh, you may want to look for large files on your system and see if you
> still need them or can loose some of them. The following will find all
> files larger than 10000 kilobytes (say 10 megabytes).
>
> find / -size +10000k

I can find space.  I still have lots of unused space on the drive,
and some other partitions I can move stuff into.
What I didn't know is that I would need all that much.

My gut feeling is that I should carve out a new partition,
maybe 8 gig or more to have space for furute use, copy
my entire main partition to it, rejigger lilo to boot from there,
and then upgrade in the new location.  I suspect it's probably
safest to copy the working backup woody system I'm using to
mail this letter than to copy the broken misupgraded one.
(both were identical late last week), so that's what I'll end up doing.

But I am still curious how reilient aptitude is to disasters like
disk-space shortage, and whether there is any way fo finding and
repairing the packages that were damages or misconfigured as a result.

-- hendrik

> Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
> "Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."

Good advice.  That's why I *have* a working system at this point.