On Thu 9 June 2005 22:12, Paul Johnson wrote:

> You've been around too many Outlook Express and Outlook users, then.
> Those are the only two clients that encourage top posting by default
> and make you strain to post properly, instead of the other way
> around.

Sadly, Novell GroupWise encourages (indeed virtually requires) top
posting as does Netscape 7 (at least I think it does as I seem to get
enough top-posted stuff from NS7 users). Novell GroupWise is
particularly bad as it doesn't even have quote characters at the left
of each line of quoted material so interspersed or bottom-posted
replies are impossible as attribution becomes virtually impossible to
discern.

The only time when top-posting is equal (not superior - equal) to
interspersed is under the following strict set of circumstances:

1. There is a single non-branching thread (so everyone responds to the
last person who contributed).
2. The thread itself is a single topic - that is there is one question
and one question alone. Moreover the answers don't themselves beget
multiple questions.
3. All the posts are short one or two sentence replies.
4. The thread is short lived.

Since this is unlikely most of the time interspersed is preferable.

I've seen some doozies at work as a result of Novell GroupWise + top
posting. One I remember well is when an exec asked something like 7
questions in one email. Each answer required at least a large paragraph
and a few ran to 3 or 4. Clearly, top posting made no sense here (not
least because the reply came several days later owing to the research
required) yet that's what the software dictated. So what did she do?
She copied the questions into WordPerfect, bolded them and proceeded to
answer each one usenet-style (without even realizing it) question by
question. She then attached the file to her reply which (top-posted of
course) indicated to go see the attached file. The final irony here is
that the exec reads his email on a Blackberry which for some odd reason
can't read WordPerfect files so he had to get his admin to print it out
for him. Now if they had been using a modern mailer and had a policy of
interspersed replying in place this hassle would have been avoided.

Most of the email conversations I see at work are complex enough that
top-posting simply can't be justified yet we continue to use this
backwards way of doing things. I've never understood the logic of
top-posting in a corporate environment because of this.

The only thing I can think of is that if the cursor is placed below the
text the person probably won't trim unless they have been trained to.
So what would result is miles and miles of quoted text with replies at
the very bottom. Perhaps the cursor should be placed after the first
paragraph of text to the left of the quote character. This would be an
interesting area of usability study for new users who are not used to
any particular way of doing things.

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario