On Tue, 13 Aug 1996 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>   Christopher> It took me a while to search this down, but the documentation
>   Christopher> (thanks to LDP) is available at:
>   Christopher>
>   Christopher> http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.2
>
> If you install the doc-linux package, it is also at
>
>       /usr/doc/HOWTO/*
>
> As the doc-linux package is updated monthly with the upstream HOWTOs, you
> should always look for the newest one in unstable/binary-all/doc. Safe to
> install on any system as it's only text. Hard to put a bug into that :-)
>
> --
> Dirk Eddelb"uttel                             http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd

Yes I read the BootPrompt-HOWTO, that's where I got the
append = "aha1542=0x234" syntax.  However, the driver source
code is where to get the module parameters (as per this same
HOWTO).  In the aha1542.c file, there is a section that
explains why you cannot pass IRQ or DMA parameters.  The
driver was apparently "upgraded" to issue "request_{irq,dma}
calls that query the board for that info.  I suspect that
the reason the module can't find the IRQ for the board is
because it can't find the board.  This was working fine
before I changed the base_io, and it still works fine under
DOS/WIN.  I'm sure I just need to properly inform the driver
module of the new base_io address (0x234).

Does anybody know how I can tell what this value is set to?
I mean I set aha1542=0x234 in lilo, but how can I tell if
its been set in the kernel?  Can anybody tell me if I even
set it correctly?  It looks good to me, using the aha1542.c
file as a guide, but I'm rather new at this.  By the way,
I upgraded to kernel 2.0.12 last night, but no magic.

Thanks in advance

Richard G. Roberto
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
201-739-2886 - whippany, nj

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.