On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Some newbies tell me they find debian-user intimidating due to the high
> level of technical discussion that sometimes goes on there. Is it time
> to split the list? About 2 years ago I proposed a separate list just for
> people trying to install the system. At the time we did not have enough
> traffic for that. We probably do now.

I suspect that the intimidation is more due to the volume of mail
(specially if these folks are suggesting that a news group would be a
better forum) and simply don't wish to deal with that volume. Any good
mail viewer (even pine) provide good sort facilities (to pull a thread
together), so there is no reason to "have" to read messages that are too
technical.
Another point: Our mailing lists are some of the most friendly forums
available on the net and only the most obnoxious folks recieve any flames.

> I would propose:
>
>       debian-install
>       debian-nontechnical
>       debian-technical

I would prefer debian-install, debian-user, and debian-devel. I don't see
any discussion of Debian that could go into debian-nontechnical. Even a
discussion of the color scheme in dselect could quickly degenerate into a
technical discussion. As has been stated elsewhere, we already have
debian-talk, which satisfies all needs for off-topic discussions.

I have no problems with splitting the mailing lists (they currently all
come to me) but would be very opposed to moving them to news groups.
However, a moderated news group that feeds both from and to the mail lists
could be an advantagious setup.

Thanks for your time,

Dwarf

      Black Creek Critters           e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]