I just got a new Pentium Pro 200 MHz, and I put Debian linux 1.2 onto it
(had it on my old system and LOVED it!  So had to have it again on this
new screamer).  Well, I am trying to compile a custom kernel, which I've
done numerous times on my old system, using make-kpkg.

So I go through make config and everything is just fine ... until it comes
to the sound. When it reaches the soundblaster I/O, no matter what I type
in, it reports: "Sorry, no help available for this option yet," and then
just goes right back to the statement.  I tried playing around with the
code, to just accept the default, which is correct, rather than prompting
me, and didn't have any luck.  I encountered the same problem with the
soundblaster IRQ question (found this out when I completely commented out
the I/O question!).

I tried using menuconfig & xconfig (very slick, this last one!), and I can
complete the setup just fine.  But then when I run the make-kpkg program,
and it reaches the soundblaster part described above, it enters an
infinite loop, and keeps on scrolling the I/O question & "Sorry, no
help..." line until I interrupt the compilation.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?  It's completely baffling me...

Thank you!

Mike