On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Alexander Koch wrote:
> I tried to compile a new kernel on my own (just the old way) and I am afraid
> i messed some things up...
>
> What does have to be a module? Even the SCSI controller? (I guess not)
>
> And, besides - after installing debian on my system I get segfaults and
> coredumps with several programs at random choice and at will, if you call it
> this way. Then I get a signal 11 even with rnews (uucp) (!) and occasionally
> when compiling a new kernel...
>
> Well, I know of this fatal sig 11 thing, but, $%!"#$"#$%"%", it worked
> before on the same two scsi discs with another distribution.

If you have fatal sig 11 during kernel compilation, it almost _always_
means you have either bad L2 cache or a bad simm. To see if it's the
cache, go into your BIOS and disable the external cache entirely. If it's
not the cache, I suggest getting a SIMM tester and running all of your
memory through it several times.

---
Elie Rosenblum ([EMAIL PROTECTED])     System Administrator, Erol's Internet
                "When Cthulhu calls, he calls _collect_."