I am about to buy a new machine.  Gateway 2000 is attractive, but
it uses a 2mb Matrox card (model not specified, and the salesman
doesn't know) standard, and offers STB ViRGE /VX 4 and 8 mb cards as
options.  The latest Hardware-HOWTO I have found (v6969, 14 November
1995) doesn't list these cards as being supported in XFree86.

     Does anyone have any experience running these cards under X?

     What does "ViRGE" mean?  It is printed with a trade mark symbol
following it, as if it is proprietary, but I notice several brands of
cards use it in their model names.

Bob