On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Rick Jones wrote:

> As some of you are aware, I recently transfered my file system from hda1
> to hda2.  When I did it I used midnight commander.
>
> MC has an option to keep UID's and GID's when copying.  Supprise! It only
> does this on the files.  When it created the directories on hda2 it
> made them ALL root.root using umask.
> [...]
> 1.  Is there an easy way to reset the permissions of my directories to
> what they should be?  Such as a program that I can exicute that will set
> them or go through and prompt me for the changes.
> [...]
> So now my system is half-hosed.  I assume there are other things not
> working correctly even though I'm not getting any other errors and all
> seems to be fine, so far.
>
> I did this to avoid a full install when I repartitioned since I have no
> backup system and have installed from ftp.  Somebody out there must have a
> good way to reset my ownerships.

Well, the /easiest/ way might just be to copy the files in one of the
correct manners, overwriting both them and their ownerships. For example,
tar to stdout and pipe it to stdin of another tar with --save-permissions
and --save-owners (done as root).

> About a year ago I remember running across a doc that described the file
> system structure standards.  I don't remember if it gave ownerships but
> it's worth a shot if someone knows what it's called and where I can find
> it.

No, it's far too short to cover ownerships, only locations. The 1.2 FSS
doesn't give it's own location(!), but only that of its FAQ which is
ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/docs/linux-standards/fsstnd/FSSTND-FAQ

P.S. I don't see multiple copies of your postings here.
--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151