Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler wrote:

>  I've got a problem regarding the localized keyboard mapping
> (german)
>  and an appropriate console font.
>
>  After I installed bash-2.0 and kbd-0.94 I couldn't access certain
>  chars, so I needed to replace default.map by de-latin1.map or
>  de-latin1-nodeadkeys.map. Then I used 'setfont iso01.f14' to load
>  the font, which has the umlauts that I need.
>  Unfortunately, this didn't work with 'mc'. All graphic chars were
>  replaced by some other (unneeded) chars, so the output of mc is
>  really messed up.
>
>  Is there a possibility to get the correct localized keyboard
> mapping
>  and the graphic chars for mc? It should be possible, because in DOS
>
>  the famous (?) nc works without problems. Maybe I need to recompile
>
>  a patched mc?

I am also using bash-2.0, kbd-0.94 and de-latin1.map. I didn't set a
special font. The only thing I had to do for mc to display german
umlauts was to selecet "Full 8 bits" in the options menu under "Display
bits...". If this doesn't do what You want perhaphs selecting "ISO
8859-1" under the same menu will be.

Hope this is useful,

Markus.