Hello again,

You probably have to say 'ifconfig eth0 down' before you try to remove the
3c509 driver module. I have the pnpdump utility in /sbin directory and you can
get it from http://www.cs.tut.fi/~hessu/pnpdump if you trust my binaries :)

NOTE: pnpdump resets the PnP cards. It hasn't been harmful for me but there's
warning about it on the pnpdump's manual page.

I was able to construct the same kind of arp table when I pulled the cable off
my machine and then tried to ping a host via the eth0 device. That caused the
HWaddress entry in the arp table to be filled zeroes.

Since your setup looks otherwise ok and the arp HWaddress entry for your
gateway is zero filled I belive the ethernet card isn't working right.

If your 3c509 card has more than one interface (twisted pair, coaxial, AUI)
you might want to check you are using the right one. You can check this with
the 3c5x9 utility, binary and source available from
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~hessu/3c5x9 and http://www.cs.tut.fi/~hessu/3c5x9setup.c
respectively.

Before you run 3c5x9 you need to do 'ifconfig eth0 down' first. 10baseT is the
twisted pair (giant phoneplug) interface and 10base2 is the coaxial cable
interface.

If it can't find the card from the IO base address 0x300 you have to supply
the correct IO base address on the command line like './3c5x9 -p 0x210'.

Do you have any other cards installed besides the 3c509?

// Heikki
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland