Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Edward McKnight wrote:
>
> > Jason,
> >
> > I have Seagate and Quantum scsi disks, ~1G each. One of them, I'm pretty
> > sure
> > it's the Quantum, spins up then down again during disk/scsi identification.
> > don't consider it defective--I'm assuming that the driver is exercising
> > capabilities that the disk has. It spins up again a bit later and stays
> > spinning.
>
> Hm, I haven't heard that with the DEC or Quantum SCSI disks we have at
> work, AHA controllers. Quite possibly though the controller might want to
> see if the disk can do a sleep mode. I wouldn't expect this from an IDE
> though.

That's why I made sure the power management stuff was off in the bios
setup... I was hoping it was some sort of power management thing going
on.

I recall, a long time ago, some Quantum drives shipped in Macintosh
computers suffered a mass case of "sticktion" (is that the correct
spelling?) where the drive would have to be pounded to start it up.
I've heard other cases since then... but this is different, since it
spins up initially and then spins down.

So, if there are no known BIOS or drive tricks going on, I should be
suspicious of the drive, I guess.

-dh