Peter S Galbraith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The PC is a Compaq Deskpro 6000:
>   PPro 200, 64 MB
>   Adaptec 2940U SCSI (IRQ 11) w/ one 4.3 GB disk attached.
>   ATAPI PD-CD (The CD shows up as /dev/hdc on Slackware)
>   Matrox Millenium graphics card, IRQ11
>   SMC EtherPower 10/100 (Tulip-based) Ethernet card.
>   PS/2 mouse.

Ah hah!

You have to re-build your kernel, unfortunately, The Deskpro series
have been known to be really sneaky about where they hide their BIOS
information.

Check out http://www-c724.uibk.ac.at/XL/ for more information.

I've installed Debian on a Deskpro before, but I had to build my own
kernel with the patch on that page, copy it over the "linux" file on
the rescue disk (I just mounted the rescue disk, it's type msdos), and
run "rdev.sh" to tell the kernel the correct root image to boot.

If you do that, things may work.

--
Brought to you by the letters P and U and the number 1.
"X -- because it's extra. Y -- because it's extra." -- TMBG