--- Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> However, I don't think your 2940U is the problem.  The no_reset
> parameter is to prevent the HBA from resetting the SCSI bus, which it
> does by default to allow all the SCSI devices on the bus to initialise.

Then I don't need the `linux' label anyway.

<...>

The last line I see during kernel bootup refers to IDE-1 or IDE-2
and then it reboots.

The PC is a Compaq Deskpro 6000:
  PPro 200, 64 MB
  Adaptec 2940U SCSI (IRQ 11) w/ one 4.3 GB disk attached.
  ATAPI PD-CD (The CD shows up as /dev/hdc on Slackware)
  Matrox Millenium graphics card, IRQ11
  SMC EtherPower 10/100 (Tulip-based) Ethernet card.
  PS/2 mouse.

Any help greatly appreciated.  I've been using Slackware since 1994
(and SLS before that), and was looking forward to trying out Debian.
--- end of quote ---
I had this sort of thing happen to me with a now-defunct PC.  It had an Adaptec
2840 SCSI controller in it, and the stock Debian install disks never worked on
that machine.  The Adaptec controller doesn't appreciate being probed by all of
the SCSI drivers in the standard kernel, AFAIK.  I was using mine for a CDROM,
so I just pulled it, installed without it, and put it back in after I compiled
a custom kernel.  It did work fine once I had installed a custom kernel.

Try the suggestion to build a custom kernel and put that on the install disk.
I no longer have a working machine that can use that Adaptec controller, so
I've since misplaced the instructions on how to replace the kernel on the
install disk, but I think such instructions are available on the Debian web
page.  An install disk kernel needs to have ram disk support and a couple of
other things compiled in, so you probably want to check those before building a
custom kernel.

There also used to be alternate boot disks (at least in Debian 1.1), one of
which was for Adaptec users, but I haven't looked for or needed one in a while.

HTH

Stephen Ryan
Debian GNU/Linux 1.3
Mathematics graduate student, Darmtouth College