TB> I installed the latest gcc/libc5 (and other compiling tools) from
TB> unstable, had problems, so I've reinstalled the stable
TB> versions. But now I get:

TB>     /usr/include/string.h:33: stddef.h: No such file or directory

TB> etc, despite the fact that /usr/include/linux/stddef.h exists.

TB> I'm sure I've done something really stupid and obvious: can anyone
TB> point it out to me please?

The problem is that you have a version of cpp that's incompatible with
gcc. They have to have the *same* version number.

This is a *known* bug in the gcc package (it should have the right
dependencies), but the gcc maintainer does not seem to think it's
important enough to do a fix in stable. Look at the bug list for gcc
at http://www.debian.org.

I think he should at least watch this list. I posted a query for help,
just like yours, twice, and got no answer. Almost two weeks with no
idea of what was going on.

If this stable is going to be there for 2 or 3 months, this bug should
be fixed.

Regards, Emilio.

--
 Emilio C. Lopes <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>