On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Will Lowe wrote:

> installed it on,  I've decided to repartition and make seperate partitions
> for /,  /usr,  /tmp,  /usr/local,  and /var (are there any others it might
> be usefull to make seperate partitions out of?).

   The FAQ addresses this pretty well.  I'd also recommend a /home
partition.  I also added a /home/ftp/pub for a file archive but that depends
on how many files you keep lying around.

> a) partition this empty space into a bunch of new partitions and <move> my
> current system onto it,  without completely reinstalling?

   Sure, it's been a long time since I did this (back years ago when I was
running SLS), but it is possible.

   As I remember (read: get someone else's opinion to be sure:-) all I did
was to create the paritions, make file systems on them, copy the appropriate
subdirectory trees to the various partitions, edit the fstab on the new /
directory/partition, edit Lilo's config (make sure to be able to boot either
Linux  setup in case one doesn't work) and run Lilo.

                          | Debian GNU/ __      o
 Regards,                 |            / /     _  _  _  _  _ __  __
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  |      ...because lockups are for convicts...